That’s when Lee and I decided to put these clowns to the test. I meet every requirement to be certified and verified, according to their own rules:
First: “To encourage and maintain trust between users on the platform, you will need to confirm your identity with Twitter in order to be Verified.
You may choose one of three methods of verifying your identity:
- Official website: Provide the link to an official website that references you (or your organization) and your Twitter account.ID verification: Provide a photo of an official government issued identification document, such as your Driver’s License or Passport.
- Official email address: Provide an official email address with a domain relevant to the notability category you choose.”
Mission accomplished. That’s not hard to do as the business is legit, been around for 13 years and we met all of their ID requirements.
Second: “Your account must represent or otherwise be associated with a prominently recognized individual or brand, in line with the notability criteria described below. In addition to confirming the identity of the controller of the account, Twitter will Verify the following types of accounts based on the criteria described. In all categories, Twitter may independently confirm qualifying affiliation through business partnerships or direct outreach:”
They name three different categories and for the purpose of this column, I’ll limit the copy and paste to the TWO that clearly apply to AAR/AAN:
- “News organizations and journalists: Any official accounts of qualifying news organizations, as well individual accounts of journalists employed by Verified news organizations may be Verified, if:
- their account is public (does not have protected Tweets)
- their account bio refers directly to the news organization’s name and links to the official URL of that organization
- individual accounts of journalists must provide a link to their affiliated news organization’s website that references their work, i.e. an about page or bio,* and
- otherwise meets the criteria laid out in this policy.
Qualifying organizations include newspapers; magazines; broadcast, cable, satellite, and streaming TV and radio news networks, stations and programs; digital news publishers; podcasts; and similar media, and must adhere to recognized professional standards for journalism…
Activists, organizers, and other influential individuals: Outside the professional categories defined above, people who are using Twitter effectively to bring awareness, share information, and galvanize community members around a cause, to bring about socioeconomic, political, or cultural change, or to otherwise foster community, may be Verified.”
AAR CLEARLY falls under the “broadcast, cable, satellite, and streaming TV and radio news networks, stations and programs; digital news publishers; podcasts; and similar media,” as well as the secondary “people who are using Twitter effectively to bring awareness, share information, and galvanize community members around a cause, to bring about socioeconomic, political, or cultural change, or to otherwise foster community.”
Thirteen years on national radio, hundreds of radio stations, TWO national syndicated radio broadcasts, verifiable podcast with nearly 20 million downloads, 3 books, more affiliate radio stations than many of the “verified daytime talkers,” and a years long member of the Board of Directors for an “activist organization,” CCRKBA, they claim would qualify as a verifiable account by their own definition.
Here’s a screen grab of the notification they sent my Twitter account late last night denying verification of my account:
These cesspools of hate will see their day, I’m sure of it. The next billionaire is already born who will create the platform that relegates this technology to the dustbin of history. That day will come as sure as we’ll look back and say, “Remember when we used to use those old phones?” It’s the same with everything. In the meantime, I’ll continue to use their platforms…as little as possible… and against them whenever possible, until they either delete me altogether or I figure out that hate-filled social media platforms filled with raging, gun-hating commies, isn’t necessary when I actually talk to real people and reach millions without these clowns.
As far as Twitter goes? Since I actually DO meet all of their requirements and they give you no way to appeal their decisions, I’ll just have to assume it was something I said!
See ya on the radio, and oh BTW, if you want to toss it in their craw knowing they hate the right to bear arms, if you don’t already, make a statement and follow me @aarmark as long as I’m around!